Director of Institutional Research
- Job Name
- Director of Institutional Research
- Posting Date
- Brief Description
- Brandeis University invites applicants for the position of Director of Institutional Research. Brandeis is seeking a proven leader and supervisor for its strong and committed group of Institutional Research (IR) professionals. Brandeis seeks an individual who will empower and support, as well as lead, IR team members as they work collectively to strengthen data-informed decision-making, to automate repeating processes, and to engage and collaborate with offices and individuals across the University.
The Director will report to the VP for Planning and Institutional Research and, with the VP and the IR team, will collaboratively develop the vision, priorities, agenda and budget for the IR team within the Office of Planning and Institutional Research (OPIR). OPIR is within the Provost’s organization and functions as a partner, and serves as a resource, across the University.
Brandeis University is beginning the process of implementing major strategic objectives set forth in the 2018 document, A Framework for Our Future (https://www.brandeis.edu/framework). The Director of IR will play a central role in clearly and compellingly communicating data and analysis to inform senior-level decision-making throughout the implementation and beyond.
The Director will oversee statistical and strategic analyses, internal reporting, major external and internal surveys and other external reporting, and course evaluations. The Director will also be a key partner with other offices in implementing good data governance, and will lead efforts by the IR team to continue buildout of the University’s online, interactive Factbook.
- Job Category
- Institutional Research
- Job Type
- Education Level Required
- Location City
- Waltham, MA 02454, United states
- How to Apply
- Applications may be initiated in Workday, Brandeis's administrative software system. Please visit
to review the full job description and apply.
- Direct Link
- Click here for more info
- Job Details
- A Master’s degree or Ph.D., preferably in an analytical discipline
- Eight or more years of total position-related experience
- A progression of positions with increasing responsibility involving gathering, analyzing, and using data in a higher-education or related setting
- Three or more years of supervisory/management experience
- Expertise in statistical analysis, the use of statistical/analytical software applications, survey design and research, data visualization, and Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of databases, data warehousing, and important external data sets, such as IPEDS, AAU Data Exchange resources, and the Student Clearinghouse
- Experience with ERP environments; experience with Workday is a plus as this is the Brandeis platform
- Strong organizational skills and experience managing a team of research professionals and their work to define, gather, organize, analyze and present data that are valid, accurate, and complete.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and accurately, at a variety of levels appropriate to varied audiences
- Strong skills in building and maintaining excellent collegial relationships
- In collaboration with the VP and Provost, determines annual research priorities and ensures that these projects are managed to completion. Manages the scope of Institutional Research work and determines project prioritization, negotiating and defining requests in consultation with the VP of Institutional Research & Planning.
- Develops and implements a structure for project completion and delivery, including new, recurring and ad hoc projects and requests.
- Leads qualitative and quantitative research efforts as needed for academic and administrative departments, producing actionable written reports of research findings.
- Ensures IRP compliance with state and federal guidelines and other external agency requirements (e.g. IPEDS, Common Data Set).
- Oversees the collection of academic and administrative trend information and analyzing, evaluating, and presenting the results (e.g. Factbook).
- Supervises the administration of student, faculty, and staff surveys, their analyses, and the presentation/publication of results.
- Ensures that all data reports from IR are of highest quality and useful for decision-making by university leadership.
- Develops and delivers presentations of data at all campus levels, particularly written, executive-level summaries of survey and data warehouse-sourced information.
- Presents and disseminates data, providing thought partnership and consultation on actions and decisions to senior leadership including Deans and Vice Presidents.
- Assigns and supports projects within the IR team, taking into consideration current and emerging skills and interests of individual team members.
- Supports the individual development and growth of IR working group members, including both direct and indirect reports, to ensure that IRP meets the data and research needs of its clients.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and demonstrated ability to produce significant reports/documents
- Superb presentation and facilitation skills